29 August 2012

Little Scribbler munches: MACAROONS!

I've never had a macaroon before and, truth be told I thought they'd be something of a let down. Like Krispy Krap doughnuts. Yup, I don't give a shit about the "fancy glaze", I think Krispy Kreme are rubbish. There, I said it. To be fair to them, I'm not a big doughnut fan anyway but, honestly, if I have to have one, I'd rather just get one with custard in the middle from wherever.

But, as the title of this post suggests, something has changed. I have now eaten a macaroon (OK, a few of them). My friend visited The French Fancies in Edinburgh (which she's been raving about - it's a little cafe run by a couple from Lyon and judging by the pics on this blog post by the Edinburgh Cake Ladies, the cakes look incredible!) and bought me a gift of some macaroons and a bag of their Earl Grey tea.


I'm a big fan of a cup of Earl Grey. I just find it so light and pleasing. And, since you ask, yes I am a milk adding philistine. 


According to their online menu, The French Fancies' teas are made by master tea blender Alex Probyn (nope. I haven't heard of him/her either but a quick Google reveals that s/he does indeed seem to be a tea master) and their Earl Grey contains Sri Lankan uva, orange peel, lavender, natural bergamot oil. I love, love, love that you get a mega whiff of lavender when you open the bag. Cause I loves lavender, innit? The result is a really light, fragrant, delicious tea.


And so to the macaroons. To be honest, I didn't really know what was in a macaroon (and have made a point of not looking anyway - sometimes it's nice to just enjoy something for what it is), just that they were little and cute and much lauded. Now, I have nothing to compare these to, but let me tell you that they are an utter delight! I had rhubarb and ginger flavour (pink) and pistachio (green) and both were delish - the pistachio tasted more obviously of it's intended flavour but both were super yummy. So little and light with a delicate crunch to the outer, followed by grainy smooshyness, then yummy cream filling. I love stuff that's crunchy or crispy outside and soft in the middle! It's so darn satisfying. And, based on what my tastebuds and tongue are saying, I'm guessing ground almonds are a big constituent part which is just fine by me as I love anything almondy! Marzipan, frangipane, bakewell. Yum, yum and yum!

So I guess I really should get myself down there and start tasting the rest of the menu! Seems rude not to.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I love me some macaroons and I too just tried them for the first time this year. My favorite is a salted a carmel one! I stopped by your blog by way of Vix as I am coming to the UK for a visit in a week and will also be in Edinburgh tooling around. Anything super cool not to be missed while I'm there, that is off the beaten tourist track?
Much love~
Krista

mispapelicos said...

I like the look of macaroons more than the taste, but adore tea, any tea.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Completely with you on custard donuts. And I would eat a pistachio flavoured anything, but those macaroons look amazing!
xx