22 January 2011

Suck my toe y'all...

Now, I don't know about you lot but I can get my big toe in my mouth. I know - you're probably thinking that my physique somewhat implies this might be a physical impossibility, but I can actually get any given one of my toes in there. I can also get my little toe up my nose. Don't ask, ok. I could get others in there but my nostrils are normal sized so there isn't room. Anyway, in spite of this fact, I ain't no Fergie and you're unlikely to see my proffering my toes to all and sundry to take a go on. However, last week, I decided to open my mind and my socks and offer up my tootsies to the little Garra Rufa fish out at the Gyle in Edinburgh. For anyone who hasn't come across the fishy pedicure, here's the chat. Actually, here are some fish eating my feet:


Now here's the chat:

"Originally from the hot springs and river basins of the Middle East Garra Rufa have been used for centuries to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema and their exfoliating abilities are now widely used. They require water temperatures of around 35c so your feet are sure to stay warm. Plus they secrete Diathanol, which is said to encourage skin regeneration. XFeet are on a mission to turn the UK into a nation full of fit feet. Based at the Gyle Shopping Centre they are home to thousands of exotic pedicurists, waiting to gently rejuvenate your feet."

Now, some of this is crap. The gist is that the little fish eat dead skin off your feet. Mmm! However, 35c my ass - my feet were so cold, when I was done, they'd gone purple. Plus, after I had started having my feet munched, the "therapist" (AKA bored girl manning the stand), gave me a health questionnaire asking if I had any nasty foot diseases. Hmm - surely you'd want to know that before you set your fish on me or, indeed, before I stick my feet in your water...


I must admit, it is kind of weird seeing all the little fish around my feet! The feeling of them nibbling away was kind of strange. If you have tickly feet, I wouldn't recommend the treatment! The only way I can describe it is like tiny jabby kisses all over your feet. If you do go for it and you're ticklish, don't spread your toes because when they get up in there it really does tickle! Like a bitch. However, otherwise, I found it quite pleasant! The good news is, at the end, my feet did feel smoother and there was definitely skin gone that had been there before. And, it's over a week since I had it done and I haven't developed any rank skin conditions so it seems nobody with anything nasty dipped their feet before me -phew!

10 comments:

Kitty said...

Oh wow, what a treatment! I've never heard of it before, I wonder if it's a 'new' thing?
www.KittysVintageKitsch.blogspot.com

Smeeeff said...

I am so impressed that you did it, it looks really odd haha! But glad to hear that it works!

Vix said...

They've just opened one of these spas in our town centre, I'm desparate to try it out. xxx

heartshapedbruise. said...

I saw a stall/booth kinda thing of this in Camden in the summer - I keep hearing about these spas opening up, but I've gotta be honest, the idea just freaks me out too much!

Glad it has given you nice smooth feet & you haven't developed any rank skin infections though!

I do find the idea quite intriguing, but I know full well I could never have a go myself - big baby that I am :/

www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am giggling like an idiot at this... so funny and I also have very ticklish feet so I am squirming at the thought of little nibby fishy kisses all over my feet. I'd probably squish the poor little things with thrashing around! Thanks for this post and pics - interesting and hilarious! Sarah xxx

Alex said...

One of these has just opened up in Liverpool. I've walked past it a couple of times and I can't decide if I am eager to have a go or mildly freaked out by the thought of it...

Sarah Maria said...

Ooh I was hoping someone would post about this, I keep walking past the one in Leeds & staring in the window, intrigued! Might drag a housemate along & give it a go now... Haha x

http://sarahmaria21.blogspot.com/

char said...

i've seen it advertised a couple of times but think this is quite new..
i'm mildly freaked out by feet - especially my own, which is mainly down to wrecking them with hundreds of pairs of shoes over the yrs! but there is a little part of me which thinks i would maybe want to try it...

Nicola said...

For Christmas I got a gift certificate to one of these places. Thanks for the tip about not spreading your toes, the thought of a fishy nibbling in there is making me cringe!

Ticklish Feet said...

It is a nice way to exfoliate dead skins on your feet. It is very relaxing.